H-TEC’s Fuel Cell Stack 3 is a modular fuel cell stack with 3 cells that are easy to add or remove. The Fuel Cell Stack 3 allows voltages between individual cells to be measured. The stack is delivered fully assembled.
Hydrogen gas is oxidized within a fuel cell. In the process, the chemical energy stored in the hydrogen gas is converted directly, i.e. without combustion, to electrical energy. This process takes place in the heart of the fuel cell, the Membrane Electrode Assembly (MEA).
The MEA comprises two electrodes (cathode: oxygen side and anode: hydrogen side) and the Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM). The PEM is a special plastic film which is permeable to protons but which presents a barrier to electrons.
Hydrogen gas is split by catalysis into electrons and protons in the fuel cell. Due to the chemical imbalance created, the protons (cations) diffuse through the PEM. The resulting potential difference can be tapped on the electrodes in the form of a no-load voltage. As soon as an electric circuit is connected to the fuel cell, the surplus electrodes flow to the cathode, where they combine with the oxygen and the protons to form water (H2O). The water produced escapes via the air vent in the form of water vapor.
✔ Modular design
✔ Flexible power output
✔ Single gas supply for whole stack
✔ Easy to add or remove cells from fuel cell stacks
- Nominal Power Per Cell: 200 mW
- Total Nominal Power (3 Cells): 600 mW
- Generated Voltage: 0.4 – 0.96 V per cell
- Max. Power Per Cell: 333 mW (for short durations and higher air flow rate)
- Total Max. Power (3 Cells): 1000 mW (for short durations and higher air flow rate)
- Voltage and Current at Max. Power: 1.4 – 1.5 V for the stack voltage and 0.7 A for the current (for short durations and higher air flow rate)
- Electrode Area: 2.9 cm² per cell
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 2.4″ x 3.7″ x 2.8″ (60 x 95 x 70 mm)
- Weight: 7.4 oz (211 g)
It is advised that the Fuel Cell Stack 3 hardware not to be operated at the Max. Power conditions in order to prevent the damage to the stack components. This information is provided for reference purposes only.